Sunday, May 10, 2009

Dating

It's hard to find time for one on one dates. We do a lot of group dating around here, and it is fun, but I know it is really important to have those one on ones, and I'm not talking about with Scott. The kids really like when they are the only one in the spotlight, and with a large family, it is getting harder and harder to do. I love, LOVE, love that Scott got a special first time outting experience with James last month. They got to go to the Priesthood General Conference together.
I got a bit jealous thinking that I don't get those special times. I figured my options were #1 go for baby 6 and try to get a girl for "mother/daughter" moments, or #2 be appreciative for what I've got, and create my own type of special "mother/son" moments. Option #2 seems to be the most appropriate choice, SO, that is exactly what I have been doing. I am very lucky in the fact that I get to be home with my boys all of the time and every day is a gift with them, but is it really special for them? If you know my boys, you know each of them is very, VERY different. KC is obsessed with garbage trucks, lawnmowers and weed wackers. He makes it very easy for me. As you can see, Daddy lets him help mow the lawn......
OK, so Scott is not the only one that gets that special lawn mowing time with KC,

That's KC with our nicest neighbor in the world, Richard. Poor guy. Anyways, like I said, KC loves garbage trucks as well. So, on Mondays when the trash gets picked up, KC and I sit on the driveway and watch the trash man pick up all of the trash. This little boy gets so excited EVERY single time, I just love it. I also love that he is so easily pleased. Charlie loves special Carl's Jr. dates after preschool. He starts kindergarten in the fall, so there are not many more of those left for us. George loves anything one on one. During family movie night and what we call "Ghost Whisperer" night, George and I have our special spots where we get to cuddle up next to each other. Now, the older boys are harder to get excited about one on one time with Mom. They are actually very nice to me, and don't act too embarassed by me yet. My mom use to let me miss school once in a while for shopping trips with her. I loved it. I don't love shopping anymore, maybe because I am footing the bill, but shopping really bores me. Luckily, my boys feel the same. So, once in a while, I'll get them out of school early to go to the movies with me. I love it, and I think they do too. Last week the kids had STAR testing, and James was getting out of school at 12:35. So, we went and caught a movie before we had to get the other kids. KC went with us, but he fell asleep during it, so it was kind of like a date. The next day, James's testing was over and all they were going to do was watch a movie in class and have an assembly....I believed him, so I let him ditch. We dropped the others off at school.....Charlie was with my sister, so James, KC and I went to the beach.

The weather wasn't fantastic, but nice enough to stay for a while. We decided to pack up and go swim at my mom's. James and I had swimming races, and I am sad to say, he is very close to beating me....in fact, we actually tied. James also took my muscle conditioning class for the first time on Friday, and he was so cute. I absolutely loved having him there! There was a time in my life when I would get depressed because I didn't have a date (yes, I was a pathetic teenager) I guess I received a lesson in patience, because now, I have dates every day of the week :)

8 comments:

Rosey Posey said...

AAAWWWEEE...

Kelly said...

I love that you sit with KC and watch the trash truck! What a good mom!!

Pam said...

You are so lucky! You always get all the dates:)

Heather said...

Ok the picture of KC and Scott mowing is so cute, but the neighbor guy is sooooo sweet.

You are such a cool mom. And I love your beach hat.

AJsGirls said...

Way to go! Moms like you give me hope that there will be good men for my girls to marry one day. One day far away...like 25 years.

Lovio Fam said...

I am totally inspired and cannot wait to have dates with my kids. I remember those moments with my parents and they were way better than the newest clothes or toys. Heck, my mom and I still have a date every year on my birthday. :)

Lovio Fam said...

I am totally inspired and cannot wait to have dates with my kids. I remember those moments with my parents and they were way better than the newest clothes or toys. Heck, my mom and I still have a date every year on my birthday. :)

Jo said...

That is so sweet! You're such a good mama!

About Me

My photo
OK...here it goes. I am a mother of 5 crazy boys....ages 10 months to 11 years. I have been married for twelve and a half years to an even crazier boy!!! I am not sure how he has put up with me for so long, and then I remember that he is as big of a goofball as me! I get to stay at home with the boys, but I work about 6 whole hours a week teaching fitness classes. I think I am funny when I remind Scott that I am independently wealthy (if you knew how much I made, you might think it is funny too)! I do love to work out, and without it I would be about 500 pounds and completely insane. Well, that about sums it up. I am looking forward to keeping a record of the completely abnormal behavior of my perfect family!