Friday, March 13, 2009

I'm SERIOUS!!!

Why is it my children don't take me seriously? Does anyone else have this problem? When I was a kid, I believed my mom when she was going to punish me. Scott says I threaten ridiculous punishments and then never follow through. I don't think that is true though. So, let me set this up for you. For some stupid reason, the kids don't have school today. I crawled out of bed at 7:50.....which by the way, is totally sleeping in for me (I remember it being a challenge waking up in time for the 12:00 single's ward). I had to get to the gym to teach the 8:30 power step class. I took KC and Charlie with me. George was watching tv, James and Curtis were sleeping. Everything was under control! I think my class was pretty successful, I get the kids, get in the car, call the boys to see if I should pick up donuts for them......George is in tears, James and Curtis are being mean to him and won't let him play PS2.....they are not allowed to play video games until chores are done...they weren't done....not even started. I was soooo ticked. I told them to clean up the PS2....be nice to George, etc, etc. This day was not progressing like I wanted it to. I walk in the house to be greeted with yelling and unkind words to each other. I told everyone to do their chores and no one is allowed to talk to each other, all I wanted was a nice hot shower! I get in the shower, about 30 seconds into it I hear the yelling.....I finish up in an additional 30 seconds. I am not even dressed yet and then I hear the crying as a result from the hitting. I was about to lose it. I can't even take a shower and get dressed. Obviously they disobeyed and actually spoke to one another....they are soooo mean to each other. I was LIVID! So, what is a Mom to do? They are not listening to a word I say....better yet, they aren't listening to a word I yell! I ordered everyone to put on junk clothes, get shoes on, get in the backyard, and no one is in until every weed is pulled from the backyard. They have been out there for over an hour, and not much is getting done. I think James is the only one actually doing it. I told Curtis that if it isn't done by 3, he doesn't play in his baseball game...I'm serious. Here is the really ironic thing.....I have to give the RS lesson on Sunday. It is based on the talk given by President Monson on "Enjoying the Journey". It is a fantastic talk.....but I don't think he considered having 5 boys home fighting and beating each other up, and enjoying it. I'm trying, it is very, very hard. I did enjoy my groceries being delivered, and the licorice that I ordered helped a little, but there is not enough licorice in the world to make any of this ok. Does it sound like I am losing it? Even with the boys in the backyard there is still fighting going on....at least they are not inside. We'll see how much progress they make. I will make lunch soon and they will get a 20 minute lunch break.....I told them if they want to commit the crime, they will pay the time......oh yeah, I think I am funny. I am trying to live by the counsel given by our Prophet....it's a good idea, and I am trying here. Wish me luck!

This picture is so blurry, but that is George in basketball shorts, cowboy boots, and a baseball cap backwards. The others are weeding.I'm not sure why they feel the need to take off their shirts....it is barely 60 degrees out....I don't care if they are naked, as long as my backyard gets weeded!

There is James actually doing the work....some things are very consistent!

Hope this post made everyone feel better about their day....because I am convinced that is why I am on this earth....to make everyone else feel better about themselves.....Happy Friday :)

10 comments:

Heather said...

yep completely normal. Yea for ordering licorise, next time maybe chocolate.

Pam said...

I can't even imagine with 5 .....
2 drive me crazy with their fighting. It is completely normal but I wish it wasn't! I think that you are doing the right thing by putting them to work, it might not stop the fighting but it gets them outside doing it. I have no advice, I haven't found what has worked. But come on, that picture (even if blurry) of George has got to make you laugh even if you are mad! That's "enjoying the journey"! And, yes, your Power Step was a success! You had me swearing under my breath:)

Julianne said...

LOL!! Thank goodness for the backyard! I swear at times my kids would be playing on the freeway if I didnt have a backyard! Your whole post is making me laugh! Good luck with your lesson on Sunday- I wish I could be there....I'm sure it will be awesome!

AJsGirls said...

I don't even have 5 boys and I so feel your pain. I think weeding is an EXCELLENT way to deal with the situation. We had the tantrum of the year over here this morning and I had to follow through on something that was actually punishing me! I hate doing that and missing out on fun. Way to go MOM!

Jody C. said...

i feel your pain. I have been after my kids all day to get packed. I found out Ashlee is out with some boy hanging out. grrrrr...hopefully my kids will make it out this weekend. so far it's looking like Jessie, Craig and I are coming.

Lori said...

That is so funny because during your power step class when you were yelling at people to work harder I was thinking that you probably like teaching because people actually listen to you. Little did I know that no one was really listening to you at home.

Kim said...

I feel your pain. My two drive me insane at times. Thanks for making me smile with your drama :)

Jo said...

Yep! This totally made me feel better! LOL!!!!

Jennifer Knight said...

I had much the same thoughts over the past week but with only 3 boys... I almost left a long comment but decided to just turn it into my own blog post!

KMJ said...

3 boys here too, can relate, i know it wasn 't funny to you but it was funny to read

About Me

My photo
OK...here it goes. I am a mother of 5 crazy boys....ages 10 months to 11 years. I have been married for twelve and a half years to an even crazier boy!!! I am not sure how he has put up with me for so long, and then I remember that he is as big of a goofball as me! I get to stay at home with the boys, but I work about 6 whole hours a week teaching fitness classes. I think I am funny when I remind Scott that I am independently wealthy (if you knew how much I made, you might think it is funny too)! I do love to work out, and without it I would be about 500 pounds and completely insane. Well, that about sums it up. I am looking forward to keeping a record of the completely abnormal behavior of my perfect family!