Thursday, December 11, 2008

Mormons Are Going Where?

The other day George came home from school and asked, "Are all Mormons going to hell?" We said no, and why are you asking? He said his friend from school told him that his dad said that. George doesn't beat around the bush, and he isn't shy to tell you how he feels. I don't think I could have responded any better than George did. I asked George what he said when his friend told him this, and George said, "I told him, well, tell your dad he is wrong." How great is that? George didn't get offended, he didn't quite understand why Scott and I were having discussions about it. Well, it turns out this is George's best buddy at school. George has been asking if his friend could come over and play. I totally bribed him (chores, good behavior) I told him if he was good his friend could come over. I talked to this boy's mother. We had never met before. This boy is her oldest and she had never let him go over to a friend's house without knowing the family first. I told her she was welcome to come over and spend as much time as she wanted, etc. I did fess up and tell her I didn't pretend we were a normal family....we are a little crazy, so on and so on. After thinking about it, I thought I should let her know we were Mormon. Since she wasn't super comfortable anyways, I thought it might be a deal breaker. So, I called her up and told her George came home and told us a not so favorable comment about Mormons that her son shared with him, and let her know we were in fact Mormon. I think she was so embarassed. When I was talking with her, I told her there are a lot of odd rumors about our faith, and if she had any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them for her. Now, my evil side thought this was hilarious. We are not normal people, so I forget that people that aren't exposed to our kind can be a little afraid, worried, or whatever. She apologized, didn't even ask me what her son said, which made me believe that she was fully aware of what he may have said. For those that are close to me, know that I can be a bit extreme. So, when she brought her son over, I made sure the house was super clean, made homemade cookies, asked if I could feed him dinner, had the Christmas lights on, etc. etc. I tried to make it so she couldn't dislike me, which normally I don't really care, but realized we could be her first impressions of Mormons.....what pressure! We'll see if he ever comes back. By the way, he was a super nice and polite kid, and is welcome back in our house anytime. I always wonder what I would have thought of Mormons if I hadn't been born into it, because even being born and raised in it, I think we are a little weird....in a good and different way.

6 comments:

Jody C. said...

there is our future missionary at work!way to go George!

Heather said...

Love George, what a great kid. I am totally with you one the mormon thing, always wondered what I would think if I wasn't born into it. We are crazy.!!!!!!!!!

Jo said...

The wierds ones reside in Utah!

Heather said...

I don't know who Jo is, but she just made me feel alot better.

Rosey Posey said...

Kaye you are so funny! I would have done the exact same thing. My husband read that you made the house super clean and stuff and he started cracking up saying, "You would totally do this!" I am proud of George for being so up front about it. Good for him and good for you guys. I am sure you were a great example.

Amanda and Ryan McCarty said...

You're some awesome Kaye. You must be teaching George all the right stuff.

About Me

My photo
OK...here it goes. I am a mother of 5 crazy boys....ages 10 months to 11 years. I have been married for twelve and a half years to an even crazier boy!!! I am not sure how he has put up with me for so long, and then I remember that he is as big of a goofball as me! I get to stay at home with the boys, but I work about 6 whole hours a week teaching fitness classes. I think I am funny when I remind Scott that I am independently wealthy (if you knew how much I made, you might think it is funny too)! I do love to work out, and without it I would be about 500 pounds and completely insane. Well, that about sums it up. I am looking forward to keeping a record of the completely abnormal behavior of my perfect family!