Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Childhood Fears Reaffirmed

I could not believe what happened to me today! For those that don't know me very well, I don't love dogs. There are a few reasons for this.....I don't like dog poop, I don't like them jumping on me and licking me, they usually smell, and I am afraid of them. I was attacked by a dog when I was a little girl....no harm, just scared the crud out of me. A few years later we moved to a house where my best friend and I lived a couple of blocks away from each other. There was a park that was about halfway between our houses. We would always meet there, and the odds of a loose dog were pretty good, and we got chased quite a bit. I hate when people don't have their dogs on leashes, because I am afraid they will come after me or my kids. I am fine with all of you dog lovers. I wish I loved them....it would make things so much easier. We have a dog.....one that is very pretty, but if anyone were to steal him from our backyard I would be forever grateful. Anyways, today I was taking Charlie to preschool. It is right next to a park. There was a very handsome, fit, outdoor bootcamp instructor with his dog. KC was obsessed with this dog. The cute guy thought it was all very sweet, I told him KC was in love with his dog, he told me that KC was welcome to go see the dog. I smiled and said, "oh that is so nice, but thanks anyways." If you asked me, I was thinking he may have even thought maybe I was a little cute. That all changed in an instant! His bootcamp class of about 10 started warming up....Charlie's classroom door opened.....as soon as I told KC it was time to go, he darted right over to this dog. The dog was innocently leashed up to the side of the building right infront of hot guy's class. KC is as wide as he is tall, and very, very fast for a husky midget. I went after KC....he was right next to the dog. As I grabbed KC, the dog attacked me. Now, I am not blaming the dog, because it was pure instinct. Looking back, I should not have come up so quickly. That stinkin dog bit the back of my knee. It didn't gouge my skin, but did make me bleed and left a nasty mark. Worst part, he put a hole in my favorite, expensive jeans!!! OK, so the guy went bolistic on his dog, and apologized, but any chance of him thinking I was cute, I am positive turned into him thinking what a "lame, stupid Mom". Not only was I soooooo embarassed, but it HURT!!! I didn't check out the damage until I got in the car. I got bit, checked Charlie into class....I think I was a bit in shock, because I remember telling a friend of mine, "I just got bit by a dog" She was more in check with reality, and told me to go talk to the owner, but I wasn't even about to. I called Scott and told him, he wasn't exactly sympathetic, I think he laughed at me, but genuinely concerned. I was right by Kaiser, so I went in to ask our nurse what I should do. She started telling me how to patch my favorite jeans......since I am now terrified of dogs, I said "thanks, but what about the bite?" She gave me some iodine swabs, neosporin, and told me it should be fine, but if it got worse to come back. This was the one morning I set out to run errands (which I hate to do), and I wasn't about to stop because of a stupid dog bite! I went around town with my dog bite, bleeding, in pain. I know I am such a whimp, I took advil and if I had painkillers, I would take them! Oh well, worse things happen, and thank goodness KC did not get bit. I will take a picture of my wound, but I can't find the camera....as soon as I do, I will post it. Hope you are all having a better day than me.....really, it hasn't been a bad day, it's been pretty good, except for the dog attack!

4 comments:

Pam said...

I am so sorry! I have such a fear of strange dogs also. I was bit on the butt when I was a kid and I have still not recovered. Hope it doesn't leave a scar:(

Jody C. said...

what a great mom to throw yourself in the line of fire to protect her lil one~! ;o)

Lori said...

I think cute workout guy owes you something!

Heather said...

I am with you on the dog thing, I hate taking care of them and the licking thing is gross. I say cute work out guy owes you new jeans. Feel better.

About Me

My photo
OK...here it goes. I am a mother of 5 crazy boys....ages 10 months to 11 years. I have been married for twelve and a half years to an even crazier boy!!! I am not sure how he has put up with me for so long, and then I remember that he is as big of a goofball as me! I get to stay at home with the boys, but I work about 6 whole hours a week teaching fitness classes. I think I am funny when I remind Scott that I am independently wealthy (if you knew how much I made, you might think it is funny too)! I do love to work out, and without it I would be about 500 pounds and completely insane. Well, that about sums it up. I am looking forward to keeping a record of the completely abnormal behavior of my perfect family!