Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Can You Try Not To Bleed On The Carpet?

Yes, those are the words I say when my 6 year old comes downstairs with a slight hole in his head. I have not had to deal with any broken bones yet, (I am sure I will be posting about that in the future) but I have had plenty of experience with bloody heads. I have to go teach a bootcamp class in a couple of hours, and there is noway I'd be back in time if we went to the ER. I hate the ER, and will avoid it at any cost. Anyways, lets back up a little bit. I sent George and Curtis upstairs to clean their room. Unfortunately, I had the baby monitor still on, and could hear them fighting. Curtis was really irritated that George wasn't cleaning. I was just about to turn off the monitor so I wouldn't have to listen to their bickering, when I started to hear that cry. The cry that lets you know this isn't a fake cry. Then, the freaked out brother calling my name once he sees all of the blood. We have gone through this sooooo many times that I actually didn't get up from the couch. James got up and told me that George was hurt. George was dripping blood. He was goofing around on Curtis's bed, fell off, and hit the corner of the dresser with the side of his face. George totally panics, so once he saw the blood he was in hysterics. He was walking towards me (by this time I actually got up) I met him right where the kitchen meets the family room, and my first words were "Try not to drip your blood on the carpet!" I caught the blood in my hand as we hurried into the bathroom. I delegated the assignments out to the other boys: James - get a washcloth (which ended up being a huge junk towel) - Charlie - get the phone, and Curtis - get the camera. So, we were set. It has been about 1/2 hour, and the bleeding is under control. I plan on putting these surgi-strips over the wound, and if that holds it, then we are so not going to urgent care. Last time, Curtis cut open his forehead right before I had to teach my Turbo Kick class.....I made the mistake of taking him to the Urgent Care, and was able to get someone else to teach my class. Not this time.....I am not missing my workout for this head wound. If his head is still bleeding after the gym then I guess we'll go, but I don't think we'll have to! I think I was a lot more sensitive the first few cut heads, but I think it is obvious that I have hardened up a bit. Alrighty, I gotta go get ready for my class!

8 comments:

Heather said...

Ouch the poor guy. I am completely on your side with this one. Only I use superglue to close all wounds. It works all the time and almost never scars. Ü

Jennifer Knight said...

That's the great thing about having all boys! No worries about the cosmetic effect of head wounds. The wound looks totally butterfly band-aid fixable. We've done it too. And we've done the superglue. Awesome stuff!

Pam said...

You crack me up! "Don't bleed on the carpet!" Sounds like something I would do. Its just a flesh wound- a little Monty Python humor there.

KMJ said...

I will do the same in the future. My boy had a wound just like that but closer to his eye. He's my oldest and got into bed with us in the middle of the night just kind of whimpering so we that he was just scared or something but we freaked when we saw the blood. I honestly think two stiches made the scar worse. Urgent care was not necessary. We haven't had broken bones (though some bad sprains) and plenty of large bumps on the head as well as bloody noses but no heads have actually been cut open - like my brother's was. Anyway, with three boys I hoped I haven't jinxed myself on the bone breaking thing. I showed my boys this picture. They were fighting and I said "look what can happen!"

Jo said...

You are so funny! I love it!

redstarmama said...

I do that with throw up. Well, not catch it in my hand, but try to direct the flow away from furniture and other textiles. And I am also a huge avoider of the ER and urgent care. Things usually stop bleeding and everyone is ok, right?

Juli said...

you make me feel better about my un-nurturing ways ( i mean that in the best way possible) I so know the cries too, the "i'm trying to get you in trouble cry", the "i'm hurt" cry and the "i'm really hurt" cry. frankly, i'm sick of all the cries!! :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

About Me

My photo
OK...here it goes. I am a mother of 5 crazy boys....ages 10 months to 11 years. I have been married for twelve and a half years to an even crazier boy!!! I am not sure how he has put up with me for so long, and then I remember that he is as big of a goofball as me! I get to stay at home with the boys, but I work about 6 whole hours a week teaching fitness classes. I think I am funny when I remind Scott that I am independently wealthy (if you knew how much I made, you might think it is funny too)! I do love to work out, and without it I would be about 500 pounds and completely insane. Well, that about sums it up. I am looking forward to keeping a record of the completely abnormal behavior of my perfect family!