Saturday, August 2, 2008

#4 is 4

Charlie turned 4 years old yesterday. The best part was watching him have so much fun. 4 is one of the best birthdays, because the pleasures are so simple, and so rewarding! There was definitely some divine intervention when Charles Emmett was born. His 3 older brothers were all born 5 days early, so I figured he would be the same. His due date was August 17th, and even though it was 17 days early, I was feeling it was time. I was not in labor at all. I am insured with Kaiser, so the person that delivers you is whoever is working labor and delivery that day. My favorite midwife was going to be going on vacation, so she told me her last two days were that Sunday and Tuesday. She told me if I was contracting to come on in either of the days. I had a contraction here or there, but I was definitely not in labor. That Sunday I was doing laps around the church building trying to get some contractions going.....but not much came of it. Regardless, I went in hoping something would happen. They monitored me, and there were a few minor contractions, so I was bummed. Luckily, my blood pressure was slightly elevated (which was odd, because I have never had high blood pressure, even during any of my pregnancies). My midwife convinced the doctor on call to induce me. All they did was break my bag, and the contractions came on like wildfire. That was around 6:30, and Charlie was born at 11:11. When he was born, we noticed a knot in his umbilical cord. It was still loose, but if it had tightened up it could have been really bad. There is a reason he was born when he was, healthy and safe.



I am so glad Charlie had such a fun birthday, because I really was a slacker Mom and didn't do any big thing. He woke up and wanted ice cream for breakfast, so ice cream it was....
(Notice KC up on the counter behind him)

Uncle Robbie picked him up for lunch and took him to his favorite, McDonalds..
I couldn't believe Uncle Robbie allowed that ice cream mess in his car, and when I asked him about it, he said, "Well, it's his birthday" How nice.

Scott came home for his lunch and Charlie got to open his presents....

Charlie is so into pirates right now, so he got a pirate ship, and he has been playing with it non stop. That evening Curtis and James had football practice, so I made a bunch of cupcakes and brought them to the practice fields. All of the teams practice together, so there were tons of people there. I told Charlie this was part of his birthday celebration, and look how many people showed up! He was so excited....he got to play with everybody. My friend Tiffany even brought him a present, and he was so happy. I had random children coming up for cupcakes, and it was great. We came home, he played with his pirate ship until about 10:00, and then we got him into bed....
While Charlie and Robbie went out, the boys surprised him by decorating his room. The balloons on the wall are suppose to spell out "CHARLIE". They wanted it perfect, which is funny, because Charlie can't read yet!
Charlie is very grateful for the things he gets, and the best part of my day was when I put him to bed and he said, "Mom, I love it when it's my birthday day." I love it too! And I love my little Charlie bug.

6 comments:

Robbie said...

While we were at lunch I asked him how his birthday was going so far and he said good. When I asked him what he was going to do for the rest of his birthday he replied, "Play with my brothers and watch tv with my mom." Priceless. When I asked what his dad was doing he said working. So I ask where does your dad work and he says "San Antonio". Random? I love that kid though.

Kaye said...

I swear I do not sit around watching TV ALL day long!

Heather said...

Soooooo, what shows were you watching while your child was turning 4? (BTW that is another reason I like you so much Kaye, we watch the same tv stuff)
Love the decorated bed, even though balloons with little kids scare the bageebees out of me. What nice thoughtful brothers. These kind of birthdays are favorites for moms, easy and the child is happy.
Tell Charlie I love his sweet smile.

Lori said...

I love the ice cream for breakfast idea! You're a cool mom. I would probably say "no" to my kid but eat some when they weren't looking.

Jo said...

That sounds like the best birthday ever! Happy Birthday, Charlie!

Kim said...

You are such a fun mom. Ice cream for breakfast-I'm going to remember that one for my brthday.

About Me

My photo
OK...here it goes. I am a mother of 5 crazy boys....ages 10 months to 11 years. I have been married for twelve and a half years to an even crazier boy!!! I am not sure how he has put up with me for so long, and then I remember that he is as big of a goofball as me! I get to stay at home with the boys, but I work about 6 whole hours a week teaching fitness classes. I think I am funny when I remind Scott that I am independently wealthy (if you knew how much I made, you might think it is funny too)! I do love to work out, and without it I would be about 500 pounds and completely insane. Well, that about sums it up. I am looking forward to keeping a record of the completely abnormal behavior of my perfect family!